Sane Energy Project
Our primary goal is to hasten a rapid and just transition to renewable energy. We need strong grassroots momentum that calls for a rethinking of our energy system from the bottom up, and we are animated by a vision of a city and state powered by 100% equitable and community-led renewables.
We support the the updated 2018 Stanford University study on shifting the world to 100% renewable energy.
Climate change is upon us and we are dangerously close to irreversible tipping points that can only be avoided by a stark reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. International climate talks are mired in “too little/too late” negotiations, and the United States has adapted an “all of the above” policy that relies on shale gas as a “transition” fuel, as well as false technologies such as “clean coal.” Disastrous practices such as deep water drilling continue. These policies and practices pose a grave threat to the environment, to public health, and to our climate.
Sane Energy Project developed several campaigns to move us away from an extractive economy to a regenerative economy.
- Offshore Wind for NY
- Community Solar
- Energy Democracy
- Interactive online mapping of the regional fracking infrastructure and local resistance groups.
- Campaigns to halt local fracking infrastructure
Awareness - We work to:
- Alert the public to the risks that the development of shale gas infrastructure projects poses to the climate and public health.
- Amplify the work that other groups are doing to educate the public about the risks of these projects
- Spotlight the undemocratic way shale gas infrastructure is reviewed and rubber-stamped by FERC
- Vision alternative systems of governance and energy ownership
Attitudes - We aim to:
- Dispel the false impression that shale gas is safe and that its development benefits the climate
- Stimulate protests against FERC’s rigged review process
- Foster the understanding that a transition to renewable energy is not only possible, but additionally led or owned by communities and there are groups currently making this happen
Action - Once people are aware and motivated to act, we empower people by:
- Mentoring and teaching individuals how to lead their communities so that we can collectively magnify our reach.
- Building a movement that models respectful, collaborative, bottom-up organizing.
- Meeting people where they are, i.e., understanding that all tactics are not for everyone and working with individual preferences – for instance, if someone is passionate about media outreach, we will work with them to create press releases.
- Lending direct support to our grassroots allies around the state via art building, strategy training, and media outreach.
- Instigating and supporting action and alliances at the local, statewide, and regional levels.
WE STRIVE TO INSTILL THIS WORK WITH JOY, CREATIVITY AND BUILDING COMMUNITY POWER.